Sunday, May 13, 2018

Smith Family Farm Blog (May 13, 2018)



We planted corn and okra yesterday. I consider these row crops and I direct seed them. Since corn and okra grow tall and relatively fast then we don’t feel the need to to start in trays like we do tomatoes. Transplanting would be a nightmare in my opinion for these crop. So, we direct seed then keep the weeds down with a flame torch until the crops get tall enough to choke out the weeds themselves.


We also transplanted planted tomatoes into the ground and started sunflower
shoots. The tomatoes we planted are Cherokee Purples, which are a very
popular heirloom that grows well in middle Tennessee.  We also harvested
leaf lettuce, radishes and salad turnips. The past couple days have been
very hot for this time of year. We were in the mid 90s yesterday. My
romaine lettuce started to wilt, but thank goodness we had the overhead
irrigation to cool the crops off. I'm hoping to grow the sunflower shoots in
record time for next weekends market. I had people asking for them this
past weekend and I didn't have any due to poor planning. Trust me, that will
never happen again. Sunflower shoots grow quick and bring a premium.
Megan on the right hand side and Mallory on the
front of my kayak admiring the beauty of this
limestone formation. 

On Sunday, which was Mother's Day we took Megan kayaking on a creek
close to our house. We had an awesome time, then we came home and went
back to our tree fort and observed many different birds. Love nature and the
chorus it sings, you just need to slow down and listen. Middle Tennessee has
some amazing geological features.

Subscribe to my youtube channel to learn more about small scale farming: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH_6SzCMTTkjNDS8qU2TzEg?view_as=subscriber



No comments:

Post a Comment